Brazil was the only Latin American country to send ground troops overseas to fight in WWII.
In 1941 after the December 7th Japanese surprise attack on Pearl Harbor, Hawaii, the United States (US) Navy was granted access to Brazilian ports in its anti-submarine campaign in the Battle of the Atlantic against the Axis. In early 1942 Brazil granted permission to the US to establish air bases and military installations on Brazilian territory. The South American bases were essential as staging and stopover points for aircraft and ships with destinations in Africa, the Mediterranean, and beyond. Recife and Natal, Brazil, were particularly important bases during WWII.
The President of Brazil Getúllo Dornelles Vargas declared war on Germany and Italy on August 22, 1942, after 36 of its merchant ships were sunk in the Atlantic Ocean by German and Italian submarines.
The Brazilian Expeditionary Force (BEF) was formed in early 1943 and had Army and Air Force branches. The BEF included about 25,700 men and women.
The Brazilian Navy was not directly part of the BEF. The Brazilian Navy and the Allies defended air and sea transport lanes, protected convoys between South America and the Strait of Gibraltar, and made it difficult for German and Italian submarines to operate in the Central and South Atlantic Ocean and in the Caribbean Sea.
The first group of BEF troops sailed from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, to Naples, Italy, in 1944. Their mission was to fight alongside other Allied armies in the Mediterranean Theater.
The BEF Army branch was attached to the Allied 15th Army Group composed of British and US field armies in Italy. The BEF had a notable role in numerous battles in Italy including the Battle of Monte Castello, the Battle of Montese, and the Battle of Collecchio. They captured over 20,000 Axis soldiers.
The BEF air branch was attached to the 305th Fighter Group of the US Army Air Force, 62nd Fighter Wing, 12th Air Force flying in the Mediterranean Theater. The Brazilians flew Republic P-47D Thunderbolt fighter planes from their base in Tarquinia, Italy. Their callsign was Jambock. They flew 445 missions and destroyed military targets including 1,304 motor vehicles, 13 railway wagons, 8 armored cars, 25 railway and highway bridges, and 31 fuel tanks and munitions depots.
When WWII ended, the Brazilian Expeditionary Force had lost nearly 1,000 men killed in action.
The Brazilian Military Cemetery of Pistoia, Italy, was established on August 4, 1945. The cemetery closed in 1960. The soldiers’ remains were returned to Brazil and re-interred at the Monument of the Dead of World War II in Rio de Janeiro.
The body of an unidentified Brazilian soldier was later discovered still buried in the Pistoia cemetery. The Brazilian government elected to leave the remains of the soldier there. In 1967 the Brazilian Monument and Tomb of the Unknown Soldier of World War II was inaugurated at Pistoia.
WWII Allies remembered.
For additional information about the Brazilian Expeditionary Force in WWII visit https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazilian_Expeditionary_Force. Also at the web page is the story explaining how the BEF got the nickname Smoking Snakes.